Series: Elysium Chronicles #2
Also in this series: Renegade, Rebellion
Published by Tor Teen on November 5, 2013
Genres: Dystopia, Romance, Science Fiction
Source: From the Publisher
Amazon • Add to Goodreads
Six weeks after her arrival on the Surface, Evelyn Winters is no closer to unlocking the memories lost in her subconscious than she was when she first came. Isolated in a strange new society, Evie has only Gavin Hunter to remind her of who she once was.
But even with a clean slate, it’s easy to see that Evie doesn’t fit in on the Surface. And as her differences make her feel more and more alone, she can’t help but yearn for that place she doesn’t remember: the isolated city hidden in the depths of the ocean. Elysium. Home.
But she can’t exactly tell Gavin what she’s feeling. Not when he’s the one who helped her escape Elysium in the first place, and has the scars to prove it. Though the doctors say otherwise, Gavin believes that Evie just needs time. And if her memories don’t come back, well, maybe she’s better off not remembering her past.
But the decision may be out of their hands when Evie’s ever-elusive memories begin to collide with reality. People and images from her past appear in the most unlikely places, haunting her, provoking her…and making her seem not only strange but dangerous.
Evie and Gavin can’t wait around for her memories to return. They’ll have to journey across the Outlands of the Surface to find help, and in the end, their search may just lead them back to the place it all started…
Welcome to my stop along the Revelations blog tour, hosted by Rockstar Book Tours! I’m sure you remember how much I LOVED the first book in this series, Renegade, so I was absolutely delighted to be put on this blog tour! By the way, seeing as how this is book #2 in a series, there will most likely be spoilers for book #1. You’ve been warned! Revelations was amazing! I really loved it. As always, my main points are bolded. :)
1. Revelations is written in dual perspectives from both Gavin and Evelyn. I really liked getting to know Gavin better by reading his thoughts, and thought this way a great way to add another exciting element to the story.
2. The book started off a little slow for me, but once things picked up I loved being in this crazy world again! This time we start out in Gavin’s village, with a self-destructing Evie who has no memory of her former life. This lack of memory is seriously dangerous, because she does crazy things and also yearns for returning to the most dangerous place she’s ever been to: Elysium. In the hopes of restoring her memory, Gavin decides he must take her across the dangerous Outlands to the big city for medical attention. Visas are required, though, which will only happen in Gavin’s former best friend goes with them. So, the three set out across the desert to find the city, all the while dodging man-eating vulture-hawks, acid lakes, and coyotes.
3. I really, really like Asher. A lot. I’m having a hard time deciding whether I like him or Gavin better, actually. He’s very suave and he cares a lot about Evie. We get to see a lot of him during the journey through the Outlands, and I love his story and his mysterious nature.
4. Just as J.A. built the awesome world of Elysium, she built a wonderful one in The Outlands. It’s a crazy, crazy, creepy place! I love her creativity.
5. The writing is still absolutely lovely.
6. We learn so many things! Secrets are revealed, and I was just in awe.
I don’t want to spoil anything by giving more away, so I will end my review here. Revelations is full of exciting moments, crazy twists and turns, and wonderful characters. I loved getting more glimpses into the lives of these people, I loved learning more about these worlds, and I loved the sweet relationships that have developed and grown more since Renegade. I can’t WAIT for the next book!
About the Author: J.A. Souders
J.A. SOUDERS is the author of the Elysium Chronicles and lives in the land of sunshine and palm trees with her husband and two children where she spends her time writing about the monsters under the bed, day dreaming about living in an underwater colony, and failing miserably at playing video games.
Magical Urban Fantasy Reads– Guest Post
Katie’s Book Blog– Interview
The Book Life– Review
Curling Up With A Good Book– Guest Post
That Artsy Reader Girl– Review
Two Chicks on Books– Guest Post
Supernatural Snark– Interview
Book Haven Extraordinaire– Review
Jenna Does Books– Review