Series: Boomerang #1
Also in this series: Rebound
Published by William Morrow on June 10, 2014
Genres: Contemporary, Contemporary Romance, Romance
Source: From the publisher through Edelweiss
Amazon • Add to Goodreads
Welcome to Boomerang.com, the dating site for the millennial gen, with no-fuss, no-commitment matchups and where the action on the job is steamier than any random hookup
Mia Galliano is an aspiring filmmaker. Ethan Vance has just played his last game as a collegiate soccer star. They're sharp, hungry for success, and they share a secret.
Last night, Ethan and Mia met at a bar, and, well . . . one thing led to another, which led to them waking up the next morning—together. Things turned awkward in a hurry when they found themselves sharing a post-hookup taxi . . . to the same place: Boomerang headquarters.
What began as a powerful connection between them is treated to a cold shower, courtesy of two major complications. First, Boomerang has a strict policy against coworkers dating. And second, they're now competing for the same job opening in the fall.
As their internships come to an end, will they manage to keep their eyes on the future and their hands off each other, or will the pull of attraction put them right back where they started?
I think Boomerang might just be the first new adult novel that I LOVED. Those of you who read my post on how book blogging is a lot like online dating know and understand my plight in the dating world these days. Naturally, I was drawn to a book that tackled an unconventional method of dating. And I adored every last bit of it! As always, my main points are bolded. :)
1. We all know that Noelle August is a pen name for Veronica Rossi (Under the Never Sky series) and, right? I LOVE VERONICA ROSSI, so as soon as I found out she was teaming up to write such a unique NA novel… I had a feeling I’d love it even though I’m not completely on board with NA. *dodges tomatoes* I have a whole new view on NA now. And you totally can’t tell there were two authors at work here. The voice is seamless.
2. Ok, so I guess I should explain my problem with NA. So many of the back cover summaries I read for NA books make the stories sound SO emotional and heavy and angsty. Someone is suffering a huge loss or a huge physical/mental condition or have dealt with abuse or any other form of sadness. And/or there’s SO much drama. I’m sorry, but I’m just not a fan of books like that. Boomerang is fun! It’s about two normal people in a fun situation. I laughed. Yes, a couple heavier issues pop up, but not so much that heaviness becomes the major plot line. I did not know NA could be this way. It’s nice to see an author view my age group as being about more than drama and poor life decisions.
3. The story is just so sweet! I could totally see Boomerang as a movie starring Amy Adams or Kristen Bell. The characters are so loveable, and I really can’t say enough about them. Mia and Ethan “meet” in the most hilarious way, and the first couple chapters had me giggling a lot. From then on, it’s a sexy, flirty, funny, emotional, and fun ride to the end.
4. I particularly love Ethan, who is just a normal, good guy. Totally swoony.
5. The chemistry between Ethan and Mia is so perfectly complimented by this burning chemistry. And they know it, yet they really don’t want this to be the case. So they try to be friends, which does not work extremely well. It’s adorable to watch, though! Jealousy and competition and frustration ensues. It’s perfection.
6. The story was about so much more than an accidental one night stand turned co-worker/competitor situation. One would think that a story centered around a dating service specifically for clients interested in no-strings-attached hook-ups would be shallow and full of lust. This book has feelings and friendships and relationships. The characters care about one another. I just loved that the plot was so much deeper than I was expecting.
Basically this review is about to get redundant because I want to keep typing, yet I don’t want to tell you anything! I’m scared I’ll spoil the fun for you! So I’m going to quit here and say that this book is one of my absolute favorites of the year so far, and I cannot wait to read the second book! My mind has been changed on NA books, and I have a feeling I will be giving more of them a chance in the future!