Before She Ignites by Jodi Meadows
Series: Fallen Isles Trilogy #1
Published by Katherine Tegen Books on September 12, 2017
Amazon • Amazon UK • Barnes & Noble • Book Depository • Add to Goodreads
Mira Minkoba is the Hopebearer. Since the day she was born, she’s been told she’s special. Important. Perfect. She’s known across the Fallen Isles not just for her beauty, but for the Mira Treaty named after her, a peace agreement which united the seven islands against their enemies on the mainland.
But Mira has never felt as perfect as everyone says. She counts compulsively. She struggles with crippling anxiety. And she’s far too interested in dragons for a girl of her station.
Then Mira discovers an explosive secret that challenges everything she and the Treaty stand for. Betrayed by the very people she spent her life serving, Mira is sentenced to the Pit–the deadliest prison in the Fallen Isles. There, a cruel guard would do anything to discover the secret she would die to protect.
No longer beholden to those who betrayed her, Mira must learn to survive on her own and unearth the dark truths about the Fallen Isles–and herself–before her very world begins to collapse.
I’m so excited to be a part of this blog tour for Jodi’s newest book, Before She Ignites! I’ve loved Jodi since her debut, Incarnate, which was one of the first ARCs I was sent after I started blogging! When I first read the synopsis for Before She Ignites and saw all the dragon goodness, I knew I was going to love this book as much as I love all of her others. As always, my main points are bolded. :)
1. I really like our heroine, Mira Minkoba. She’s been under the thumb of her parents and the Luminary Council since she was a young girl, but now they have imprisoned her for having her own voice and her own thoughts. The bulk of the story takes place in the Pit, which is the most miserable prison in the land. All of a sudden, she’s fending for herself… cleaning, living on very little food (that’s all rotten and spoiled anyway), aligning with people she can trust, and coping with her crippling anxiety disorder without the comfort of her normal life and her beloved friends. I liked watching her grow stronger and learn how to calm herself down in times of stress.
2. I liked Mina’s cellblock mates, even though some of them were kind of weird and/or a complete mystery. My favorite was Aaru, who comes from the isle of silence. He communicates by voice very little, and instead has a tapping language that he teaches Min so they can communicate between their cells without being heard. He’s one of the mysterious ones I was talking about before, and I hope we learn more about him in the sequel. He’s loyal, powerful, and very sweet.
3. Mina’s best friend, Ilina, is the best friend everyone wishes they had. She stands beside Mina at all times. Her protector, Hiroto, is also a wonderful ally. I love that Mina has so many strong relationships, and I hope those get more fleshed out in the sequel as well.
4. DRAGONS. Minia has a cute little dragon named LaLa that I picture as a cuddly little kitten, regardless of the sharp scales that could cut you. She’s adorable! But then there’s all the dragon lore, which was super interesting. We get to meet some bigger, fiercer dragons and that was exciting. More dragons, please! My biggest complaint was that there was not enough dragons!
5. Jodi’s writing is still flawless! There were some very beautiful passages about light and stars, especially toward the end, that I want to go back and re-read just because they were so calming and pretty.
6. Give. Me. The. Sequel. What an ending! Super climactic and actiony and intense. I can’t want to see where things go next.
All in all, Jodi Meadows is not going out of style. I loved the small pieces of diversity included. I’ve never come across a character with anxiety in a fantasy novel before, and it really meant a lot to me. I saw pieces of myself in Mina. Definitely pick up this beautiful story as soon as you can! Or maybe wait until the sequel is closer to releasing. Tough choice.
About Jodi Meadows
Jodi Meadows wants to be a ferret when she grows up and she has no self-control when it comes to yarn, ink, or outer space. Still, she manages to write books. She is the author of the INCARNATE Trilogy, the ORPHAN QUEEN Duology, and the FALLEN ISLES Trilogy (HarperCollins/Katherine Tegen), and a coauthor of MY LADY JANE (HarperTeen). Visit her at Website: www.jodimeadows.com
Take a loot at the amazing book trailer for Before She Ignites, created by the lovely Sarah from The YA Book Traveler! I think she did a beautiful job!
As a thank you for stopping by the blog, we have a giveaway! Jodi Meadows has generously donated 2 finished copies of Before She Ignites for 2 lucky winners!!!
For more chances to win this amazing giveaway, make sure you visit each tour stop, which will be full of interviews, creative posts, reviews and an excerpt!
Monday 9/4 –TheLifeofABookNerdAddict – Guest Post
Monday 9/4 – TalesofTheRavenousreader– Creative Post
Tuesday 9/5 – BooksAndPrejudice – Review
Wednesday 9/6 – EaterofBooks – Interview
Thursday 9/7 – ForTheSakeofReading – Review
Friday 9/8 – ABackwardsStory– Guest Post
Monday 9/11 – Knoxdiver – Guest Post
Monday 9/11 – ThatArtsyReaderGirl – Review
Tuesday 9/12 – TheYABookTraveler -Review
Wednesday 9/13 – AThousandWordsAMillionBooks – Interview
Thursday 9/14 – BookCrush– Creative Post
Friday 9/15 – TheReaderAndTheChef– Review
Monday 9/18 – YAandWine – Review
Tuesday 9/19 – TakeMeAwayToAGreatRead – Creative Post
Wednesday 9/20 – AphonicSarah – Interview
Thursday 9/21 – TheKindredReader – Review
Friday 9/22 – ReadWriteLove28 – Excerpt
Friday 9/22 – LoveIsNotATriangle – Guest Post