Welcome to another TTT! This week’s topic is about my hopes and goals for 2021. I’ve never subscribed to the idea that a new year means a new me. I’m good just the way I am. BUT a new year is a symbolic fresh start, and I enjoy making small goals and wishes for the coming year because they give me something to aim for. 2020 was hard, so my theme for 2021 is going to be “happiness”. Everything I’m hoping for and aiming to achieve in 2021 will ultimately be for my increased happiness and well-being. Some of these things are bookish, and some are more personal.
1. Learn to sew and crochet! I’ve always loved being crafty and artistic, and I’ve lost that in recent years. I got some sewing notions and a couple project books for Christmas that I’m excited to start working my way through. One of my friends sent me some minky fabric, and another friend is going to teach me how to make a throw blanket. I also got some crochet supplies for my birthday last summer that I haven’t used yet, so I want to learn how to do both of these things.
2. Become an amazing bread maker! I love homemade bread a LOT. I could live on bread and butter alone, so what better hobby to learn than baking bread? And my mom bought me a really cool bread cookbook for Christmas that teaches you how to make all kinds of breads and other bread products like cinnamon rolls and pizza.
3. Set aside at least an hour a day to do something good for myself (non-hobby related). This could be working on my mental or spiritual health, researching natural healing, doing biofeedback for muscle relaxation, going on a walk (even if on the treadmill), exercising, etc. I can do one or a combination of any of these things.
4. Do something that makes me happy each day. This can be reading a book, watching TV/movie, playing Animal Crossing or other video games, talking with friends, working on one of the new hobby I mentioned above, listening to music, working on a puzzle, etc. I don’t spend enough time just being happy, and I know it would do such good things for me.
5. Drink more water. I’m chronically dehydrated, and I know that’s not helping some of my chronic pain and organ dysfunction. I’d like to eventually work up to a gallon, but that’s going to take work. So for now I’d just like to try and increase my intake and see how I feel. I’ve heard that as you drink more, your body wants more.
6. Blog more! I love blogging and have always found it to be a fun outlet where I can share my thoughts. I fell into a bit of a slump in the last year and then got so buried by my backlog of reviews that needed to be written, that I just kind of quit altogether. Blogging is supposed to be fun and for me, so I need to make it fun.
7. DNF faster so I end up loving more books in 2021 than not. 2020 had a lot of great reads, but also a lot of meh or downright awful ones. If I’m not excited to read, I’m doing something wrong. I need to stop reading the books I’m not enjoying faster so that I can read more of the ones I love. I might even read more books this year if I do this!
8. Go through and organize and get rid of my stuff. I want my things to bring me joy, and if they don’t then they need to go. I have too much stuff.
9. Surround myself with good people, who make my life better and happier. Maybe not physically because COVID is still a thing (so hoping that it’s a thing of the past soon), but even just emotionally. I need to embrace the love in my life and move away from the toxicity.
10. Lessen the stress in my life. We don’t always get to pick what we deal with, but sometimes we bring it upon ourselves. I need to really figure out what I need to do to feel calmer and less stressed. Even just a little. If there’s anything I can do to change or reduce my stress, I want to figure out what that is and then do it (or work towards it).
I hope 2021 is everything you hope it will be.
And if all you hope is that you’ll be safe and healthy, that’s 100% good enough.
And I hope it’s so much better for all of us than 2020 was.