Series: Time Between Us #1
Published by Disney Hyperion on October 9, 2012
Genres: Contemporary Fiction, Contemporary Romance, Romance, Time Travel
Source: Publisher (Mail)
Add to Goodreads
Buy on Amazon
Anna and Bennett were never supposed to meet: she lives in 1995 Chicago and he lives in 2012 San Francisco. But Bennett has the unique ability to travel through time and space, which brings him into Anna’s life, and with him a new world of adventure and possibility.
As their relationship deepens, the two face the reality that time may knock Bennett back to where he belongs, even as a devastating crisis throws everything they believe into question. Against a ticking clock, Anna and Bennett are forced to ask themselves how far they can push the bounds of fate, what consequences they can bear in order to stay together, and whether their love can stand the test of time.
I was SO excited when I got to meet Tamara at ALA. She’s super nice, and told me a little about her book. I was already sold on it, but she made me even more excited. I love time travel and romance. This book was everything I could have hoped for, and so much more. Rarely, and I mean rarely, does a book make me feel the things this book made me feel. I adored it, and I know it will stick with me for an extremely long time. I wish I hadn’t had to wait so long to read it! As always, my main points are bolded. :)
1. I loved the idea of this novel. A romance that sweeps across two decades, with travel and mystery and all the emotions that come with the fear of time separating them once again. It’s dangerous to get invested into a relationship that has so many unavoidable loopholes. I just loved it!
2. I loved the unique take on time travel. It’s hard to explain, but I really enjoyed reading all about how Bennett does it, and how he can take people with him.
3. Anna and Bennett are wonderful characters. I was pulling for both of them, and I really got attached to both of them. Usually I care more for one member of a romantic duo over the other, but I honestly can’t tell you which person I like more in this one. Anna is strong and confident and willing to take risks. She’s so relatable and normal. Bennett is impulsive, a wanderer across continents and time. I want to date him and I want to be her.
4. The travel aspect of Time Between Us was amazing and unexpected. All Bennett has to do is hold Anna’s hands, close his eyes, and “poof” them both to some exotic island or secluded village. I loved reading about where they went, and what they did. I’m a lover of all things travel and exploration, and I just soaked those flawless descriptions of Italy and Mexico and Thailand in like a sponge. Tamara is amazing at world building and placing you in each location right along with her characters.
5. The romance was so simple and sweet, yet deep and believable. I love the way Anna and Bennett danced around each other and their feelings. I loved reading about their inner thoughts, and how they were scared and excited and both longed for each other for so long before actually doing anything about it.
6. Anna’s friends were wonderful! I love her adorable British best friend Emma and her longtime childhood pal, Justin. They added so much to the story, and brought out the best in Anna. I also really liked her parents. I love books that depict parents as friends rather than a hindrance.
7. I have an even greater lover of the 90’s. I loved all the references to 1995. The music, the way people talk, the hair. It was so great to go back and visit!
8. This book made my heart happy. I don’t cry while reading. I hate it, my eyes get puffy, and then I can’t see… and I have to put the book down. It’s a messy sight. But I cried! The ending is just so beautiful and perfect that I shut the book and cried. And then I just sat there and wished I could go back and have a “do-over” and go back and read it all over again!
9. This book keeps you thinking long after you’re finished. As I reflect on my experience reading it, little nuances in the storyline jump out at me and make even more sense than they did before. More pieces of a puzzle I thought I had already completed keep falling into place, and it makes me love the book even more.
Basically, you need to read this book. Any book that leaves me in tears, looking for a time traveling stranger out my window, and wanting to go and take risks and throw caution to the wind is a book you neeeeeed to read. I really loved it so much, and writing this review has made me love it even more! Time Between Us has jumped to the top of my leader board for 2012, and it’s going to be really hard for any book to beat it at this point!